My top ten reading experiences of 2009:
2. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. The first of the Russians that my book club read. Love.
3. The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. There really aren’t words for how much I loved this book. Favorite fiction read of the year.
4. The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. One of the most beautiful, honest memoirs I’ve ever read.
5. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. Children’s Lit combined with gorgeous, gorgeous pencil drawing illustrations. So enjoyable.
6. Compassion by Henri Nouwen. Most influential book in my thought life. How I want to live.
9. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. Because rereading this book never gets old.
10. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Not so much for its literary value, but for the perfect morning of escapism I had in Central Park this summer.